Monday 18 January 2016

Stress And Its Many Poisons

Stress is something I was am too familiar with. Stress is my friend. I love the feeling of being stressed and I'm actually more productive when I am under pressure.

But my body doesn't love stress as much as I do.  I lose weight. I get dark circles under my eyes. I can't sleep. These are the usual physical manifestations of stress on me.

Back in my heydays, my favorite poisons to cure stress are the following:

1. Coffee- I drank around 3-6 cups a day
2. Wine-  I drank 2-3 glasses a night
3. Melatonin
4. ZZZquil


I drank coffee to wake me up. I drank wine to relax me. I took melatonin or ZZZquil to make me sleep.

And I functioned very well in my professional life. Sure my immune system was out of whack, but I was very productive at work. I didn't really care much. I was young.

Fast forward to now. I am pregnant and very healthy. I eat brown rice, veggies. I have said good-bye to coffee, wine, coke, juice. I no longer eat cakes as much as I used to. I sleep 8-12 hours a day. I do yoga and power walk. I've never been healthier in my life.

Then, there's my husband. He decided that he doesn't want stress to lose a client, so he enrolled himself in the program.

He has a different poison of choice: SMOKING.

My husband is not a chain-smoker. He smokes smoked when he got stressed. But, he frequently gets stressed.

And stress will never go away.

So,  a couple of weeks ago, I finally reached that point of indifference. I said...

" It's unfair that after you convinced me to get pregnant, you are now trying to kill yourself. Why then bother to start a family if you don't plan on staying long enough? I better work again to make sure I can take care of our family when you are gone."

That approach is called: PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE.  It works most of the time.

I added...

" Look, stress is never going away. It's just a question of what poison who wish to cure it with. So here's something to replace your smoking." 

 Then I gave him a new peculator and I set up a nice coffee corner beside his desk.



So now, he drinks 4-5 cups. He will probably get gastric problems from this. But  I tell you, when it comes to stress, you either get rid of the cause or you find another poison to deal with it.

How about you? How do you deal with stress?

Indifferent,

L


No comments:

Post a Comment