Thursday 15 May 2014

REWIND: MY AFRICAN SAFARI EXPERIENCE part I

11 years ago, when my GBF saw me walk into the office, he knew I  was a charity case. Mix took it upon himself to train me on the art of living well and to introduce the concept called LUXURY.

Ofcourse, I hesitated.

And then my boss died. He was only 35 years old and he died suddenly. I panicked. I thought to myself that Life is too short and youth is ever so fleeting. I must enjoy life. Now. AS IN, NOW NA!

So, when we went to Durban, we decided to splurge on our first Safari Experience. We had been to South Africa a couple of times in the past but this was the first time we decided to go on a safari trip.

Why? Because,  I was cheap and a safari tour is expensive. 

We went to a private game reserve that promised to have the BIG 5s: The lion, the elephant, the buffalo, the rhinoceros, the leopard. These are the 5 most difficult animals to hunt on foot. Eventually the term was adopted by Safari tour operators for marketing purpose. Thus, it appears on most websites and brochures. 

We stayed in our very own BUSH SUITE.

Each of the 9 bush suites in the reserve were self-contained for absolute privacy and shaped like a traditional Zulu homestead.




We had our own deck, where there was a private pool.






We also had a separate hut for a circular day bed. Obviously space is not an issue in the wild.



We had our own boma. Couples on their honeymoon sometimes opt to have their dinners in private.



A canopy bed set the romantic mood of our room.



But since I was with my GBF, he tried to separate the beds. This was the best he could do.




Inside the room, we had our own fire place where I roasted marshmallows...alone.



While he read and ignored me.




And he read every night because there was no tv. 

It would be too weird for us to spend the night staring into each other's eyes.



Breakfast was served in a patio that has a beautiful view of the wild.



We could see the animals having breakfast too.



Our package included lunch and dinner buffets with flowing wine!




It was only safe to walk to the main hall in the morning. At night, we needed a guide because cheetahs would be lurking around. We were also advised not to pet the animals because they are not from DISNEY or PIXAR and they will attack..



I also had a great massage in their spa. incidentally, this spa made it to this book!




While, Mix stayed in because he was tired of explaining to people that we're  not married. 




pray that someday I'll get to go back with S. I'm sure he will like this place.  But! We have to save up as I'm sure it'll still cost a fortune. 

And oh, the animals?? PART II






Still on Pause,


L











2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that you almost choked on your marshmallows!!!

    And that they had the kinkiest bathroom ever.

    One of the best trips of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you'd forget about the marshmallow and amaretto incident.

      The bathroom, I don't have a pic na. Just the tub.

      The way was really beautiful...and it was so expensive too.

      Delete