Tuesday 26 April 2016

The Nanny

My in-laws and my husband got me a nanny for my baby.

I never got to interview the nanny nor was I asked if I wanted one. Her services were hired to ensure that I get to rest during my ge lai. 

I only met the nanny after I have birth. My mother-in-law and my husband interviewed her.

Our new nanny brought her own uniform and prefers to wear them when she is working. Personally, I don't like it when employers make their helpers wear uniforms because I feel it's a way to set them apart from the family. 

But our nanny wants to wear her own uniforms... Maybe it makes her feel more professional.


Yes, she is really a professional. After all, she is a certified caregiver. She has an extensive experience under her belt. She has attended to infants,  elderly patients and even those under comatose.  

Needless to say, she knows more than me.

Occasionally, I feel jealous when I see her holding my baby or singing songs to her. But then, I also feel thankful that I can hand over the baby when I want to rest.

It's really a strange feeling...

The nanny is from Bacolod, so we both speak Ilonggo. Truth be told, I talk to her more than I talk to anyone else in this house...simply because we speak the same dialect. 

She told me her story that she has an 8 month old son back home in Bacolod. She is a single mom and she needed to leave home to provide for her son.

I feel  guilty when I see her take care of G knowing how painful it must be to take care of another person's child when you have one who needs you too.

Sigh...

Sometimes my empathy gives me more suffering than joy.

I told my husband that I plan to bring the nanny with us when we go home to Iloilo for Christmas. Then, I want her to go take the ferry to Bacolod so that she can spend Christmas with her son.

I have also started talking to some friends to ask how I can help our nanny find work abroad someday. It's good to have a career plan to keep talented people motivated. My husband will probably kill me if he finds out.


Resting,

L



No comments:

Post a Comment